Sushi is the most famous traditional Japanese dish. Its main ingredient is pickled rice and raw stuffing, the most popular stuffing being seafood, salmon, mushrooms, eggs or vegetables. The fillings are raw on average, but can also be cooked or pickled. You wouldn’t even think how easy to make sushi at home.
Let’s see how can you make the best homemade sushi of your life
Traditional Japanese Sushi Recipe
There are different types of sushi, the most traditional of which is maki (rolls). The sushi is rolled on a nori sheet. First of all, we have to make sushi rice, this is the hardest part of the recipe, this is where the success of sushi stands or falls. If it’s not sticky enough, it will fall apart, if it’s too sticky or overcooked, it’s not real.
Maki Sushi Rolls
Maki rolls are one of the easiest sushi. Probably this is the best option to make your first homemade sushi. You might want to start with this maki roll recipe if you want to master the technique of making sushi! Very simple and very delicious!
Ingredients for The Sushi Rice:
- 630 g of Japanese rice
- 0.8 liters of water
- 8 ml of rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put the rice in a large bowl, wash with cold water. Wash and drain the water until the water is clear. Pour the rice into a soup strainer and set aside for 30 minutes to allow it to drip well.
- Put the rice in a pan and add the water. Let the rice soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes. Light it underneath and cook in boiled water for 15 minutes.
- Make sushi vinegar. Mix rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Pour the whole into a small pan and heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cool the mixture.
- Put the hot steamed rice on a large plate. Do not use a metallic container as it will prevent the interaction of rice and vinegar. The best would be a wooden plate. Sprinkle the rice with the vinegar mixture and mix quickly with a shamoji (rice spatula). Be careful not to crush the rice grains. Refrigerate and immediately make the sushi out of it.
Ingredients for Sushi:
- Sushi rice
- want leaves
- possible fillings: avocado, cucumber, scallops, raw tuna, raw salmon, crab meat, squid, lettuce, eggs (natural scrambled eggs), etc.
- You will need a bamboo wrapper to wrap the sushi well, but a clean cloth will do.
- Place the nori sheet on the wrapper and press a thin layer of sushi onto it by hand.
- Place the filling in the middle of the nori sheet long. The filling should be cut into long slices.
- Start winding up from the end facing you. In the meantime, try to hold the roll as tightly as possible.
- Cut with a wide, well-cutting knife for approx. 2.5 – 4 cm wide.
Many people love sushi, but relatively few take the courage to try to make it at home. And it’s not a complicated stunt, and when made at home, all the ingredients are guaranteed to be fresh. So try your little ones too, pack it up with all the good things on earth and write down how it tasted!
If you are interested in my “Asian Recipes”, do not hesitate to Check them out! For example, here is my “Homemade Ramen Recipe”– hope you will love it!